PEEPS Bunny Trail Cupcakes are a fun treat for any spring dessert buffet. Kids of all ages will love how festive and colorful they are.
This post is sponsored in conjunction with #SpringSweetsWeek. I received product samples from sponsor companies to help in the creation of recipes. All opinions are mine.
These Peeps bunny trail cupcakes are super fun with the Peeps on top. These are not exclusively Easter, you could serve them for any spring celebration including Mother’s Day, a bridal shower and even baby shower.
For #SpringSweetsWeek bloggers received a goodie box filled with Peeps Marshmallow Chicks and Bunnies plus really cute slippers. Do you have Peeps fans in your house? I do and the Peeps company wants to know if you are Team #PeepsChick or Team #PeepsBunny. You can probably tell from the cupcakes that I’m Team #PeepsBunny.
If you’re not much of a cake decorator, never fear, it’s really easy. There is actually a special decorating tip that makes the grass. Using the grass tip takes a little practice, but honestly it’s one of the easiest tips to learn to use.
These cupcakes use cake flour, not all purpose. What’s the difference you ask? Cake flour has a slightly lower protein content than all purpose which results in a tender texture and fine crumb. No cake flour? A good substitute is replacing 2 tablespoons, for every cup, of all purpose flour with cornstarch. Your result will be good but not exactly like if you used cake flour.
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 to 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract,
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup milk
- Green food coloring
- Toothpicks for securing Peeps
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a standard muffin pan with cupcake papers.
- To make the cupcakes: Combine the dry ingredients, then mix in the butter until crumbly.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry in two additions.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake the cupcakes for 16 to 18 minutes, until they're lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of one of the middle cupcakes comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven; after 5 minutes turn them out of the pan onto a rack to cool.
- To make the frosting: Beat together the butter, shortening, and salt.
- Add the sugar, vanilla, and ¼ cup milk, and beat until fluffy. Add additional milk if the frosting seems too stiff to spread.
- Separate Peeps bunnies from each other. Put a toothpick in the bottom of each bunny and stick into top of frosted cupcake.
Remember to tell people the bunnies are secured with toothpicks.
- A #SpringSweetsWeek G & T by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Bunny Bark by Our Good Life
- Carrot Cake Ice Cream Sandwiches by Crumb Top Baking
- Carrot Cake Scones by Cheese Curd In Paradise
- Chocolate Crepe Cake Roll by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Marshmallow Dip by Simply Inspired Meals
- Chocolate Panna Cotta by The Gingered Whisk
- Chocolate Wacky Cake by The Gingered Whisk
- Cottontail Chex Mix by Books n’ Cooks
- Easy as Pie Coconut Cream Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flower Pot Spring Cookies by The Freshman Cook
- Homemade Peach Cobbler by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Key Lime Cupcakes by House of Nash Eats
- Key Lime Sugar Cookies by Kelly Lynn’s Sweets and Treats
- Lemon Cake Roll by Sweet Beginnings
- Lofthouse Soft Sugar Cookies with Frosting by The Crumby Kitchen
- Marshmallow S’Mores Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Mint Chocolate Yogurt Pudding by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Orange Cream Cheese Loaf Cake by A Savory Feast
- Orange Cream Overnight Oats by Cookaholic Wife
- Orange Creamsicle Fruit Salad by Home Sweet Homestead
- PEEPS Bunny Trail Cupcakes by Family Around the Table
- Sheet Pan Key Lime Pie by Strawberry Blondie Kitchen
- Simple S’mores Bars by Cooking With Carlee
- Small Batch Chocolate cupcakes by Creative Southern Home
- Strawberry Papaya and Blood Orange Margarita by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Vegan Blueberry Yogurt Coffee Cake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Vegan Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes by The Baking Fairy