My most treasured recipes in my collection are the ones that belonged to my Mom. She was a fantastic cook and baker. I always remember her being in the kitchen. I loved being int he kitchen with her. She was my biggest fan and enjoyed just about everything I made for her. Three years ago I lost my Mom on the day after Mother’s Day. It was May 12, 2014 and while it was sudden it was not unexpected. I still miss her everyday. I regularly peruse her clippings, recipe boxes (there are a few) and mostly her hand written recipes, because she had such a beautiful handwriting. It’s makes me feel close to her and I always seem to find something I’ve not seen before. Her Southwest Georgia Pound Cake was hand written on a piece of paper. You may be wondering why it’s called Southwest Georgia Pound Cake. Well…I honestly do not know. I can’t even shed light on the name.
My Mom and I spent lots of time in the kitchen together and around our family table. Family dinners, even when there were only 3 of us after my brother went off to college, were a priority in my family. Spending time together was always important. Family recipes are just as important to me as our family dinners. It’s a part of our history and I’m happy to pass it along to my kids, in hopes they will pass along to theirs.
You do not preheat the oven for this pound cake recipe. Do you know why? Starting a pound cake in a cold oven makes it rise higher and creates a thicker crust. It was also done in the days before electric ovens to save on gas. The method works and this pound cake is delicious. Serve it with vanilla ice cream or freshly whipped cream and seasonal berries.
So, whatever your plans for Mother’s Day, enjoy! Enjoy your kids, enjoy your Mom, enjoy your family. Time flies, treasure every moment.
Sunday Supper Mother’s Day Food Ideas
- Hot Fudge Ice Cream Cake by Pies and Plots
- Toasted Almond Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies by Helpful Homemade
- Triple Chocolate Strawberry Cake Truffles by The Freshman Cook
- White Chocolate Molten Lava Cakes by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- White Chocolate-Filled Snickerdoodles by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Double Pork Stuffed Pork Roast by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Stuffed Caprese Chicken by My World Simplified
- Japanese Chicken Curry by What Smells So Good?
- Lightened-Up Shrimp Scampi by My Savory Spoon
Sides and Salads
- Mom’s Easy Clam Dip by Cricket’s Confections
- Salmon and Capers Panzanella Salad by And She Cooks
- Swedish Creamy Potato Casserole (Jansson’s Frestelse) by Sunday Supper Movement
- Berry Chantilly Trifle by The Crumby Cupcake
- Blackberry Cobbler with Brown Sugar Pecan Biscuits by Soulfully Made
- Lemon Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries by Our Good Life
- Lemon Cooler by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mom’s Southwest Georgia Pound Cake by Family Around The Table
- Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote by Wholistic Woman