This post, for Blood Orange Whiskey Smash, is sponsored by Melissa’s Produce. I received product to aid in the creation of #FreakyFruitsFriday recipes. All opinions are mine alone.
I’ve always been a fan of whiskey. I fondly remember my Dad making whiskey sours for him and my Grandmother when she came to visit, which was a couple of times a month. I thought it was so cool that grown-ups would just sit on an afternoon, relaxing and enjoying each others company. I couldn’t wait to grow up myself and do the same.
When I received this amazing box of really interesting produce, I knew a cocktail was in order. Citrus, especially orange lends itself nicely with paired with whiskey. So this adult beverage was born.
Like a mint julep, this drink involves muddling. Muddling is a simple technique. You put a few of the ingredients, in this case the orange slices, sugar and mint leaves, in the bottom of a cocktail shaker. (I used a mason jar.) Then, using the back of a wooden spoon handle, press or mash the ingredients together to blend and open up flavors. You then add the remaining ingredients and shake, strain and serve.
So what exactly is a smash cocktail? The basic elements are a spirit base, in this case whiskey, ice, mint (or other herb), sugar, and seasonal fruit, hence blood orange. The popularity of smash cocktails has been on the rise.
This is the second time I’ve worked with Melissa’s Produce. My other recipes are steel cut oats with pomegranate, supreme oranges and maple syrup and roasted balsamic acorn squash and shallots. I just had to work with the blood oranges. My boys had never seen them before and, like me, thought they were beautiful. A blood orange is a bit more tart than it’s sweeter cousin the navel orange.
Some of my blogger friends are also sharing delicious recipes today and you can check out the links below. Camilla from Culinary Adventures with Camilla is our host.
Blood Orange Whiskey Smash
- 4 ounces Blood Orange Juice
- 1/4 ounce Agave Syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/4 ounces whiskey
- 1 teaspoons sugar
- 2 blood orange slices
- 2 mint leaves
- 1 half blood orange slice, for garnish
In the bottom of a cocktail shaker add 2 blood orange slices, sugar and mint leaf. Using the end of a wooden spoon, muddle the fruit with the sugar and mint.
Once these ingredients are "mashed" add ice and the blood orange juice, agave syrup, whiskey and lemon juice to the cocktail shaker. Shake to mix and strain into a rocks glass filled with ice. Garnish with blood orange slice and serve.
- Blood Orange Whiskey Smash by Ellen at Family Around the Table
- Chayote and Cuitlacoche Enchiladas by Sue at Palatable Pastime
- Dragonfruit Acai Bowl by Anne at Simple and Savory
- Dragonfruit Sorbet by Wendy at A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Freaky Fruits Cocktail in a Horned Melon Cup by Heather at Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Freaky Friday Muffins with Cherimoya by Terri at Our Good Life
- Passionfruit Frozen Custard (With Seeds) by Colleen at Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
- Passionfruit Lemon Loaf Cake by Amy at House of Nash Eats
- Spicy Prawn and Freaky Fruits Noodle Salad by Camilla at Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Tropical White Cake with Dragonfruit Buttercream by Carlee at Cooking with Carlee