This is a sponsored post. I received free product to create this recipe. All opinions are my own.
Day 2 of #AppleWeek promises to be just as delicious as day one. Who doesn’t like mini versions of things? It seems like you can eat just a few more than if they were regular size. At least that’s what I’m telling myself. That is certainly the case with these mini apple muffins with oatmeal streusel topping.
Initially I was just going to leave the muffin as is when it comes out of the oven, but after tasting them I felt they needed a touch more sweetness. Plus, I’m a huge fan of a powdered sugar glaze. It’s a glaze that’s so versatile. You can just make it with powdered sugar and water or milk but I decided to use the vanilla from Rodelle in this version. The muffins alone are not too sweet but I think the addition of vanilla keeps the glaze from being too sweet.
These mini muffins are perfect on a brunch buffet, ticket in a lunch box, as a mid-morning snack or as a side when serving a main course salad. I love making muffins or quick breads to enjoy alongside a main dish salad like my strawberry salad with candied almonds. I have to say, even my oldest, who is Mr. Picky, gobbled these up. He’s not a fan of nuts but they were so tiny, he hardly knew they were there. You can certainly leave the nuts out but I think the glaze is really what sold him. He would never touch oatmeal and I didn’t tell him there were oats in the topping. That is until after he tried them.
When I was preparing the apples for this recipe, I tried one of our sponsor products, Veggie Wash to clean the apples. Now, even though Rainier Fruit sent us beautiful, organic Honeycrisp apples, even organic apples can have residue on them. I found Veggie Wash to do a fine job.
Like I mentioned yesterday a big thank you goes out to our hostess of AppleWeek, Carlee from Cooking with Carlee. Without getting into a lot of blogger speak, just know there is SO much that goes into organizing and orchestrating a week-long blogger event. She has rocked this event.
Mini Apple Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- 1 Rainier Fruit Honeycrisp apple, peeled, cored and diced
Oatmeal Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup Flahavan's Irish Oatmeal
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon Rodelle vanilla
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease mini muffin pan or pans and set aside.
- Melt butter in saucepan and add brown sugar. Remove from heat when the sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. (This is so you don't scramble the eggs.)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, salt and baking powder and set aside.
- Add eggs and brown sugar mixture to the flour mixture, blending well but also being careful not to over mix.
- Gently stir in nuts and apple.
- Fill muffin pans 2/3 full. Sprinkle each muffin with streusel topping.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove from pans and cool completely.
- For the oatmeal streusel topping:
- Whisk together flour, sugar, oats and salt. Work in the butter until coarse crumbs form.
- For the glaze:
- Mix glaze ingredients and spoon over cooled muffins.
USA Pan Bakeware Mini Cupcake and Muffin Pan, 24 Well, Nonstick & Quick Release Coating, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Apple Almond Butter Manchego Grilled Cheese from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Apple Almond Chicken Salad from Books n’ Cooks
Apple Bacon Jam from Corn, Beans, Pigs and Kids
Apple Cinnamon Rolls from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Apple Nachos from Simple and Savory
Apple Pecan Chicken Salad from The Chef Next Door
Apple Turnovers from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Applesauce Cake with Soft Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting from Cooking With Carlee
Autumn Apple Sipper from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Bavarian Apple Oatmeal Streusel Cheesecake from All That’s Jas
Caramel Apple Cupcakes from Amy’s Cooking Adventures
Grilled Apple Tossed Salad from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
Mini Apple Muffins with Oatmeal Streusel Topping from Family Around the Table
Nutmeg Apple Conserve from Feeding Big
Red Cabbage with Apple from Palatable Pastime
Roasted Apple and White Cheddar Soup from 4 Sons ‘R’ Us
Sauerkraut & Sausage with Apples from House of Nash Eats