This month I am participating with some blogger friends in a fill the cookie jar event. It’s actually a monthly event but this is my first post. The theme is Valentine’s Day so I made a family favorite to share. Valentine brown sugar bars take little time to make and are perfect for dessert, a lunchbox treat or class party.
Cynthia from Feeding Big hosts this the link-up and I encourage you to check out the links to all the other Valentine’s day goodies. Past installments of fill the cookie jar have offered amazing recipes and I’m sure this one will be no different!
What I love about these Valentine brown sugar bars is use red and green M&M’s and they are Christmas. Use blue and white and they are Hanukkah, or red, white and blue for July 4th. If you really want to get creative, purchase your school colors and make them for a bake sale! I would venture a guess they sell out.
I like to make these for my kids lunch boxes. They are a perfect surprise treat. You probably have all of the ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator. When making these bars use a wooden spoon and hand mix them. The dough is this and will require elbow grease but it’s worth the effort. Start checking for doneness at the shortest amount of time.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup Valentine M&M's, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter the bottom only of an 8 x 8 inch square pan and line. with parchment paper, allowing some parchment to hang over the sides. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, combine the brown sugar and melted butter until well combined. Add in the egg and vanilla, mixing until both are incorporated.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the brown sugar mixture and stir until all the flour is incorporated. Mix in 1/2 cup of the Valentine M&M's.
- Spread batter into prepared pan and sprinkle with remaining M&M's.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.