Peanut butter and chocolate are a favorite combination for many people so adding peanut butter whiskey to hot chocolate seemed like a good idea. Serve this Spiked Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate after dinner instead of dessert.
So, there are a couple of ways you can make this hot chocolate. The first is to make your favorite hot chocolate from scratch.
My favorite is ultimate hot chocolate. It’s rich, creamy, and delicious. This option would be great for entertaining.
The second option is to use pre-made hot chocolate packets. One packet per serving. It’s a quick and easy way to enjoy this after-dinner drink.
How do you make spiked peanut butter hot chocolate?
There are a few of peanut butter whiskeys on the market. I used Ugly Dog Peanut Butter Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey.
What’s the difference between other brands? Well, Ugly Dog uses REAL Kentucky bourbon whiskey, not a neutral grain spirit like other brands plus they use real sugar, not corn syrup.
Better ingredients make a better product, which makes a better drink.
What is a neutral grain spirit, or NGS?
Well, it’s highly concentrated alcohol that has been “purified by means of repeated distillation”. They are called neutral because they lack added flavor and can take on any flavor. It’s cheap for makers to buy and add their own flavorings. Neutral grain spirits burn when going down so you definitely want something else added to it.
What’s the difference between bourbon and whiskey?
- Whiskey is distilled from a fermented blend of grains, usually corn, barley, rye, and wheat. A blend that distillers call a mash bill. Depending on what the ratio of grains comprises the mash bill is part of how the resulting liquid is either categorized as whiskey or bourbon.
- For a whiskey to be called a bourbon, it first by law has to have a mash bill with at least 51 percent corn.
- Also, by law, bourbon has to be aged in a charred white oak barrel, and a new one at that.
- Finally, bourbon has to be made in the U.S.A. Much of the bourbon on the market comes from Kentucky.
National Peanut Butter Day Recipes
- Chocolate-Frosted Peanut Butter Blondies by The Redhead Baker
- Easy Peanut Butter Pancakes by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Fluffernutter Sandwich Cookies by The Spiffy Cookie
- Peanut Butter Fudge by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Peanut Butter Truffles by Daily Dish Recipes
- Spiked Peanut Butter Hot Chocolate by Family Around the Table
- 16 ounces hot chocolate, divided
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, divided (not natural)
- 2 ounces peanut butter whiskey, I used Ugly Dog Peanut Butter Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey, divided
- Whipped cream
- Reese's Cups for garnish
- Divide the hot chocolate between 2 mugs. Add the creamy peanut butter and whisk briskly.
- Add the peanut butter whiskey and stir gently.
- Add whipped cream and garnish the mug with a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup.
To use a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup as a garnish cut a small V in it and place on side of mug after whipped cream.