Double chocolate banana muffins are moist, delicious, and full of chocolatey flavor. Jam-packed with mini chocolate chips they are perfect with a cup of coffee.
Pin Double Chocolate Banana Muffins to make later.
It seems I always buy too many bananas. We do love bananas but just never seem to eat them before they become too brown.
I know many others who have this problem too. Why don’t I just buy what I need? Well, the answer isn’t that simple. Why? Because sometimes I think my family will eat more than they do.
These muffins are delicious warm but also good at room temperature. Store muffins, covered, for a few days on the counter. Warm them up in the microwave for a few seconds if desired.
These muffins are moist with a soft crumb. They are light and chocolaty with extra bursts of chocolate from the mini chips.
Tips and Tricks for Making Muffins
- Measure accurately. Fluff your flour before measuring. Use the scoop and sweep method – scoop flour into a measuring cup until overflowing. Sweet off excess with a flat utensil such as a butter knife or offset spatula.
- Use the correct measuring cups for the job. Don’t use liquid measuring cups for dry ingredients and vice versa.
- To use liners or not? I really think this is a personal preference. If you don’t you may need to spray the muffin tin to release them after baking.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ full, unless otherwise indicated in the recipe. Any fuller and they will overflow.
- The easiest way to fill muffin cups is with a large cookie scoop or ¼ cup measuring cup. This also ensures the muffins will be the same size and bake evenly.
- I prefer a lighter muffin pan to a dark pan. Why? Lighter-colored pans give better results.
- Don’t overmix the batter. The ingredients should just be moistened with no big lumps of dry ingredients. Overmixing will result in tough muffins.
- Test muffins for doneness. Using a toothpick or reusable cake tester, when the timer buzzes, insert the tester in the center of the muffin. It should be clean or just have a few moist crumbs. If it’s wet with batter, the muffins need a few more minutes.
- My picks for Muffin Baking Essentials are in my Amazon Store, where if you purchase something I will receive a small commission at no additional charge to you.
Looking for more muffin recipes?
I love making muffins and keeping a batch on the counter for a quick breakfast or snack. Homemade is always better than store-bought and with a few on-hand ingredients you can make your favorites anytime. Here are some of my family’s favorites:
- Coffee Cake Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Apple Streusel Muffins
- Jumbo Pumpkin Spice Muffins with Streusel Topping
If you often have leftover bananas try these recipes:
Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Double chocolate banana muffins bring sweetness to your morning routine. A great mid-morning snack too.
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups mini chocolate chips
- Additional mini chocolate chips for topping
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray muffin tins (18 wells) with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mash bananas and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Stir in mini chocolate chips. Set aside.
- In a larger bowl add sugar, applesauce, oil, vanilla extract, and eggs. Add mashed bananas and whisk to combine ingredients. Stir in flour mixture until just combined, without over mixing. Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin tins.
- Sprinkle each muffin with mini chocolate chips gently pressing them into the batter.
- Bake for 20 - 23 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool muffin tins on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove muffins from tin to cool. Enjoy warm or at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Extra Big and Loud Kitchen Timer
Norpro stainless steel scoop, 4 Tablespoons (¼ cup)
Ateco Cake Tester- 1 pack
OXO Good Grips 2-Cup Angled Measuring Cup - Wet Ingredients
Measuring Cups Stainless Steel 7 Piece Stackable Set for Dry Ingredients Measurement
OXO 9-Inch Better Wire Whisk, Silver
Nordic Ware Freshly Baked Muffin Pan
Sunday 27th of September 2020
My family loves these muffins. Moist and full of yummy chocolate. They are the perfect way to use up bananas.
Sunday 20th of September 2020
As a mom of 5, I juggle work, kids, and all of life's other stresses on a daily basis. These muffins will be a fantastic grab and go breakfast or snack for my kids.
Saturday 4th of July 2020
They look super moist and delicious. Any exc - I mean reason to have chocolate for breakfast is a good one!
Amy (Savory Moments)
Friday 3rd of July 2020
These muffins would be a huge hit in our house! You can't go wrong with bananas and chocolate - my kids love both and so do I!
Wednesday 24th of June 2020
Yumm!! These are definitely right up my alley - I love muffins like this!