This post contains affiliate links where I receive a small commission if a purchase is made through the link.
It was not long ago that I realized I did not have any cute Halloween treats on this blog. So I mentioned to some blogger friends about posting some fun Halloween food. They were in. But what to make? Then my oldest son comes home telling me he needs a treat for a class at school. Lucky for me (wink) it was needed before Halloween. So, I’d been thinking about these mummy cupcakes but didn’t want to use a box mix.
I’ve always wanted to make the cake recipe on the back of the Hershey’s cocoa so I thought this would be a good opportunity. It’s an interesting recipe because you use boiling water and the batter is as thin as water. As I’m carefully placing the muffin tin in the oven I’m thinking to myself, this is never going to set up into cupcakes. But 22 minutes later, I had cupcakes.
I use the Wilton buttercream for decorating. I have for years and years, since I took the Wilton decorating classes way back in 2000. My Mom used it way before then too. I have all of her cake decorating tips and supplies like couplers and bags. To make the mummy I used the Wilton tip number 47. It’s the basketweave tip and you may notice it has a flat and a wavy side. Just pipe the wavy side down for a smooth “bandage”. Just randomly pipe lines to form bandages leaving some cupcake showing through. Add candy eyes over part of the bandage so they adhere to the cupcake. Let icing set and store covered.
- Caramel Apple Cereal Bars by Palatable Pastime
- Creepy Eyeball Martini by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Halloween Party Mix by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Haunted Halloween Mini Cake by Making the Most of Naptime
- Mummy Cupcakes by Family Around The Table
- Mummy Dogs by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Spider Web Cupcakes by Making Miracles
- Spooky Chocolate Bark Brownies by Amy’s Cooking Adventures