My family is not all that big on Tex-Mex cuisine but they do love fajitas. It was one night when we were at a major restaurant chain, who shall remain unnamed, that we were saying the fajitas just weren’t good any longer. My youngest said, “Mom, you could do better!” Well, I took that as a challenge and these grilled round steak fajitas were born.
I’ve taken an unconventional route to make these fajitas. You certainly could slice the round steak into strips and stir-fry it but I thought by grilling the meat, there would be more flavor. I was right! I choose orange and yellow peppers for color but also because I find green peppers to be a bit bitter. If you enjoy green peppers, by all means, use them!
When you’re cooking the onions and peppers, patience is key. Don’t rush the process. Save time prepping the vegetables in advance. The onions should be transparent and the peppers soft.
This recipe was first shared on the Sunday Supper Movement website when I was a contributor a few years ago. I have made this recipe many, many times since it was published. If you’re looking for a delicious dessert to serve after the fajitas, Mom’s peanut butter pie with chocolate crust is a delicious option.
- 1 pound top round steak
- 1 red pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 orange pepper seeded and sliced into strips
- 1 medium onion sliced into half moons
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- 8 flour tortillas
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Other desired toppings, such as salsa, guacamole, etc.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and peppers. Sauté over medium heat until soft.
- While onion and pepper mixture cook, season top round steak with salt, pepper and garlic powder and grill until medium rare to medium. Do not overcook because it will cook a bit more when you slice it and combine with the onions and peppers.
- Once steak is done, cover with foil and let rest at least 10 minutes. Slice steak into 1/4 inch strips and add to pan with the onions and peppers. Stir to combine and heat through.
- When ready to serve, warm flour tortillas in microwave. Wrap 2 tortillas in in a paper towel and heat in microwave about 10 seconds, until warm. Build your fajita by adding a sour cream smear to the tortilla, add steak mixture and cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 637 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 11g Cholesterol: 117mg Sodium: 709mg Carbohydrates: 63g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 3g Protein: 45g