It’s just been in the last number of years that I’ve come to enjoy cranberries and recipes with cranberries. I’m excited to participate in my third cranberry week with this recipe for glazed cranberry almond squares.
I found this recipe on a package of frozen cranberries a couple of years ago and had never made them before. The original recipe did not call for a glaze but, if you’ve been around the blog for a while, you know I can’t resist a glaze. The sweetness of the glaze cuts the tartness of the cranberries. These are sure to become a holiday staple in the years to come.
These glazed cranberry almond bars are full of whole tart cranberries and are bursting with flavor. If you prefer a more almond flavor, increase the almond extract to 1, or even 2, teaspoons. I used vanilla in the glaze but you could use almond here too. This is a VERY thick batter. You may want to use your hands to pat the batter into the pan. Just make sure it’s even so it bakes evenly.
Glazed Cranberry Almond Squares
- 2 sticks butter, melted
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 3 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non-stick spray with flour. Set aside.
In a stand mixer beat butter, flour and sugar until combined. Add eggs, one at a time, and almond flavoring in mixing bowl. Stir by hand and add 3 cups of cranberries. Fold batter until most cranberries are covered in batter. Spread prepared batter evenly in pan and bake for 1 hour.
Cool bars completely before glazing.
To make glaze:
Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over cooled bars.
If using frozen cranberries, do not thaw first.
More Cranberry Recipes on the blog:
Find Family Around the Table on social media:
I’m excited to be sharing this recipe as part of Cranberry Week – now in it’s third year! See all the tasty cranberry recipes being shared today below and follow #cranberryweek on social media for more ideas all week long.
- Bourbon Cranberry Sauce from Cookaholic Wife
- Cranberry Apple Pie from The Redhead Baker
- Cranberry Almond Shortbread Tart from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Cranberry Cheese Ball from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Cranberry Chipotle Glazed Baked Salmon from Palatable Pastime
- Cranberry Cream Cheese Spread from Our Good Life
- Cranberry Ice Cream from Kate’s Recipe Box
- Cranberry Orange Bread from The Saucy Fig
- Cranberry-Orange Glazed Ham from Cooking For My Soul
- Cranberry Orange Scones from A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
- Fall Pizza with Sausage and Squash from Caroline’s Cooking
- Glazed Cranberry Almond Squares from Family Around the Kitchen
- Hot Spiced Cranberry Orange Cocktail from The Gingered Whisk
- Lamb Lollipops with Cranberry-Apple Mostarda from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Maple Honey Cranberry Sauce from Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Quinoa with Turkey, Brussels Sprouts & Cranberries from Books n’ Cooks
- Real Cranberry Gummy Bears from Daily Dish Recipes