July is National Ice Cream month so I’m kicking it off with some blogger friends. I really love all things vintage. From clothing to architecture (especially mid-century modern), to food and beverages. Though I didn’t grow up in the 50’s, when they were so popular, I did enjoy a few as a kid. Ice cream floats were always a treat in my house growing up.
When they were invented, back in the late 1800’s, they were called ice cream sodas. They were made with the intent to be a non-alcoholic beverage. The second phase of the ice cream soda was the grown-up version that included alcohol. My version here is a childhood favorite that has withstood the test of time. The classic Coke float. I’m an advocate for using any sort of cola – Coca-Cola, Pepsi, Diet Soda, flavored soda, whatever is your favorite.
I would say I’ve not made this treat for many, many, many years. I had never made one for my kids before I made the one for this blog post. Well, one sip and the kids were hooked. They were in ice cream float heaven. What’s so awesome about this recipe is that you can make as many or as few as you need. Even customize them with different sodas. You could offer a make your own float station at a party for even more fun. For ice cream month I offer this old fashioned cola float. Thank you to Sue from Palatable Pastime for hosting this tasty blogger event.
July is National Ice Cream Month and we are kicking things off with our favorite frozen treats to beat the summer heat!
- Chocolate Mousse Ice Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Cowtipper Shake by Jolene’s Recipe Journal
- Nutella Blueberry Popsicles by All That’s Jas
- Fresh Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream by Amy’s Cooking Adventures
- No Churn Cherry Vanilla Ice Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Old Fashioned Cola Float by Family Around the Table
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip No Churn Ice Cream by Cooking with Carlee
- Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream by Red Cottage Chronicles
- Sour Cherry Ice Cream with Chocolate Chunks by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Strawberry Frozen Yogurt by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Honey Sorbet by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Strawberry Peaches & Cream Popsicles with Gingersnap Crumbles by Tip Garden