This post, for strawberry layer cake with strawberry buttercream frosting, is sponsored by Florida Strawberry in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
I am a native Floridian and proud of it. While I have traveled to many places I have always lived in Florida. There are many things I love about my state – sugar sandy white beaches, the rich history, sunshine, stone crabs and the fact that we have a winter strawberry season that is currently in full swing, running from November to April. If you’ve read my other strawberry recipe posts on this blog, you already know of my love for the ruby red berry. This recipe for Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting continues that love affair. Besides being delicious they are oh so good for you. Strawberries are virtually fat free, contain no cholesterol and are an excellent source of vitamin C and folic acid plus a good source of potassium.
It’s December as I write this and I’m thrilled to be able to get my fix of Florida strawberries from my local grocer. Fortunately, these beautiful berries will be in stores for a couple more months. Each year, in the spring at the end of the season, my family and I head over to Plant City to pick the luscious fruit on u-pick days. While I do use many of the fresh berries, I also freeze them for smoothies and milkshakes. One of my favorite recipes to make with the fresh strawberries, especially when they just become available in stores, is my Mom’s strawberry layer cake with strawberry buttercream frosting. I remember when I was younger and she would make this cake I would sneak strawberries and eat them. She never let on that she knew, but I always thought I was being sly. My Mom passed away in 2014 and I’m always happy to make and share her recipes, especially ones that hold such fond memories for me. Christmas is the perfect time to make this stunning cake. The red of the strawberries and the pink tinge to the icing make it very festive for the holidays. I’m so lucky to live near the winter strawberry capital.
During the busy holiday season it’s nice to have an easy recipe. My Mom’s cake starts with a white cake mix and gets the pink color from strawberry gelatin. Now, take it from someone who knows, don’t use a yellow or butter cake mix. The color will be dingy. This is one cake I really take the time to grease and flour, I don’t use the flour cooking spray. Maybe it’s because it’s the way my Mom did it or maybe because I really don’t like the flour spray. It really doesn’t take any extra time. It’s little details that make this Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting a stunning cake. Three-layer cakes always draw the ooh’s and ahh’s but take a few strawberries and dip them in chocolate to decorate the top of the cake plus more to serve your guests. Now, it’s over the top!
Shared at Weekend Potluck
- Balsamic Strawberry Brie Bites by Casa de Crews
- Roasted Strawberry Chipotle Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Savory Strawberry Crostini by Cooking Chat
- Strawberry Apple Salsa by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Strawberry Hummus by The Freshman Cook
- Chocolate Covered Strawberries by Desserts Required
- Classic Eton Mess by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fresh Strawberry Pie by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Goopy Goop – A Healthy Strawberry Sauce by Cricket’s Confections
- Strawberry Bundt Cake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Strawberry Layer Cake with Strawberry Buttercream Frosting by Family Around The Table
- Grilled Balsamic Strawberry & Chicken Kabobs by Books n’ Cooks
- Grilled Fish Topped with Strawberry Salsa by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Strawberry BBQ Shredded Chicken by The Crumby Cupcake
- Strawberry and Arugula Pizza by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Strawberry Balsamic Brie Grilled Cheese by Authentically Candace
- Strawberry Almond Couscous by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Strawberry Bread by An Appealing Plan
- Strawberry Bruschetta Side Salad by April Golightly
- Strawberry Coleslaw by Family Foodie
- Strawberry Pecan Salad with Honey Balsamic Dressing by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks