Disclosure: I received an assortment of CK Mondavi wines at no charge. There was no obligation to use them in a recipe. Photos, recipe and opinions are my own.
I have always enjoyed bartending. I love making up beverage concoctions. Who knew all those years ago when I took a job as an administrative assistant at a major wine and spirit wholesaler in Jacksonville, FL that 20+ years later I would not only be in the business (my husband and I own a spirit and wine brokerage company) but be blogging about food and wine. Along with my family, they are truly my passions. I was tickled when I was asked to create a beverage with CK Mondavi wines for their “It’s 5’O Clock Anywhere” promotion.
With the dog days of summer in full swing here in Florida, I decided to make a refreshing beverage for hot and humid days. I first thought about a sangria because I love white wine sangrias but scrapped that idea because, while popular, sangria is just over done these days. Plus, if you’re not careful, you can really lose the flavor of the wine. Then I thought about the fruits of summer and decided that grilling a few peaches to make a peach puree was the way to go. We picked up some fresh Georgia peaches on our drive home from vacation at a place outside Atlanta. If you’ve never grilled peaches before, you’re in for a treat. They take on a faintly smokey note, that I felt melded well with the floral and fruity notes of the CK Mondavi Moscato. The peach puree accentuates the flavors in the wine. When I develop a beverage recipe I want to enhance flavors, not cover them up. The CK Mondavi Moscato is certainly delicious on it’s own but it becomes a refreshing summer drink with the addition of the peach puree and sparkling water. A resurrection of the wine spritzer. Perfect for a backyard barbecue or to sip poolside.
- 2 tablespoons grilled peach puree
- 12 ounces CK Mondavi Moscato
- 2 ounces Sparkling Water (I used San Pellegrino)
- Peach slice for garnish
- To grill peaches: Slice ripe peaches in half. Remove pit. Place peach half, cut side down, onto grill over indirect heat. Grill until grill marks appear and peaches begin to soften. Remove from grill and cool.
- To make grilled peach puree: Remove skin from cooled grilled peaches. Discard skins. In a blender, puree peaches. Store unused puree in refrigerator or freeze for future use.
- In a 16 ounces wine glass place 2 tablespoons of grilled peach puree. Top with 12 ounces of CK Mondavi Moscato. Stir gently to combine. Top with sparkling water. Gently stir. Add a few ice cubes. Make a diagonal slice in the peach slice and place on side of glass for garnish.
Easily increase number of servings.