It’s day 4 and BrunchWeek continues with scones. Apple cinnamon scones with salted caramel drizzle to be exact. One of the BrunchWeek sponsors, Sage Fruit Company sent Breeze apples and this is the delicious recipe I’m sharing. The Breeze variety is originated in New Zealand and they will soon be grown in Washington State and available year round. The Breeze variety are crisp, juicy and slightly tart.
The measuring spoons from KitchenIQ are more rectangle in shape making them perfect to fit into boxes and bottles.
While the traditional scone shape is a wedge, or triangle, you could certainly cut 2 1/2 inch rounds from the dough. You may need to adjust your baking time because the rounds will be smaller and have larger yield. The salted caramel drizzle puts these scones over the top.
- For the apples:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium Sage Fruit Company Breeze apples, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- For the scone dough:
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup Dixie Crystal sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 1 cup creamy Greek yogurt
- For the salted caramel drizzle:
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup sifted Dixie Crystal 10x powdered sugar
- Coarse or flaked sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a split mat or parchment paper.
- Prepare the apples: Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the apples, stir and cook 4 to 5 minutes or until apples are softened. Stir in the cinnamon and set aside to cool.
- Prepare the scone dough:
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and baking sugar. Add the butte an dmix again until coarse crumbs form. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in yogurt and apples until late dough comes together. You may need to use your hands. True the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and hand form a circle that is 1" thick. Using a sharp knife cut 8 wedges of equal size and place them about 1 inche apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake scones 15 to 17 minutes or until they are cooked through. Let cool 5 minutes on baking sheet and remove to a wire rack to cool.
- Ice the scones:
- In a small saucepan heat the butter until melted. Stir in the brown sugar and milk. Cook over medium-low heat for 1 minute. Transfer to mixing bowl and cool mixture slightly. Stir in the vanilla and 1/2 cup powdered sugar. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended. If necessary add up to 1/4 cup more powdered sugar for desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm scones. Sprinkle with coarse or flaked sea salt.
- Aperol Cocktails by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Grapefruit Rosemary Mocktails by Sweet Beginnings
- Teh Tarik (Malaysian Pulled Tea) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
- Homemade Crumpets by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Apple Cinnamon Scones with Salted Caramel Drizzle by Family Around the Table
- Cannoli French Toast by Cooking In Stilettos
- Cinnamon Cobblestone Bread by My Catholic Kitchen
- Orange Popvers by The Chef Next Door
- Pretzel Bagels with Roasted Jalapeno Cream Cheese by The Texan New Yorker
- Strawberries and Cream Sweet Rolls by The Redhead Baker
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
- Apple Fritters by The Suburban Soapbox
- Blueberry Salad with Green Onion-Poppy Seed Dressing by Love & Confections
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
- Caramelized onion, Bacon, and Cheddar Egg Tart by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Breakfast Quesadillas with Bacon and Cheesy Eggs by Casa de Crews
- Chorizo Egg Breakfast Skillet by Brunch-n-Bites
- Crab Souffle by A Day in the LIfe on the Farm
- Picante Omlette Pie by Feeding Big and more
- Slow Cooker Ham, Cheese, and Veggie Breakfast Casserole by Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
- Curried Fish Tacos by Nik Snacks
- Ham and Mushroom Strata by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mini Croque Monsieurs by Making Miracles
- Roman Breakfast Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Chicken Salad by The Barbee Housewife
- Spiced Marinated Lamb Lollipops by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Gluten Free Citrus Pastries by Gluten Free Crumbley