My husband is not a big fan of Italian food. Yes, you read that right and it bothers this Italian girl to the core. But after 23 years of marriage I’ve come to accept it. Kind of. I continue to try new dishes and when I hit on a winner, like these Parmesan chicken sandwiches, I’m excited.
I originally planned chicken Parmesan with pasta for dinner but that suggestion was met with dismay. So I suggested this recipe, from Taste of Home, because I had everything on hand and I wanted to make it for Taste of Home Tuesday. This was intriguing to my husband so I whipped them up. I had already done the prep work so the sandwiches came together quickly.
Use your favorite sub or hoagie rolls. My Publix supermarket has delicious hoagie rolls so that’s what I used. I buy them in the bakery. It’s a hearty sandwich so it needs a hearty roll. I served them with chips but a macaroni salad or even garden salad would be delicious. These sandwiches are perfect for game day, weekend lunch or busy weeknight dinner. If you can manage some prep work in advance, the sandwiches take little time to get on the table.
This is the week 14 recipe in the 52 Week New Recipe Challenge.
It’s Taste of Home Tuesday so I invite you to visit my blogger friends, who are also Volunteer Field Editors, who have shared other Taste of Home recipes on their blogs today. Links are below.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 hoagie rolls, sliced
- 4 slices provolone cheese, or more if desired
- 1 1/3 cup marinara or other meatless pasta sauce, warmed
- Place flour and egg in separate shallow bowls. In another bowl, toss bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese.
- Pound chicken with a meat mallet to 1/2-in. thickness; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Dip chicken in flour to coat both sides; shake off excess. Dip in egg, then in crumb mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook until golden brown and chicken is no longer pink, 4-5 minutes per side. Serve in rolls with provolone cheese and sauce.
Thank you to Maureen from Red Cottage Chronicles for hosting!
In celebration of Halloween Amy’s Cooking Adventures is sharing Eyeball Cookies
Maureen at Red Cottage Chronicles is sharing a Cheesecake Factory Inspired Red Velvet Cheesecake
Shannon from Making The Most Of Naptime is also in the Halloween spirit, sharing Scary Eyeballs
Jolene from Jolene’s Recipe Journal is sharing Mama Mia Meatball Taquitos