My family loves Chinese food. I’ve never made it at home, though. I’ve wanted to but just never found a recipe that would suit all of us since out tastes are so different. While shopping at Publix recently, the Apron’s Cooking station was making this beef and broccoli recipe so I stopped for a sample. Immediately I knew this was the recipe I needed to try at home. The week 25 recipe in the 52 Week New Recipe Challenge is beef and broccoli with fried rice. It was a hit with the family and a recipe that will definitely go into my rotation. I like to get as much prepared in advance as possible so I can just throw recipes together. I usually purchase a head of broccoli but the bagged florets were on sale so I thought I’d save myself some time. I still had to cut those florets to bite sized pieces. Slicing the steak when you bring it home from the store will also save time. If the dish in on a future menu, freeze it sliced and you’re ready to go. It’s important to note to have everything prepared as this dish comes together quickly. I think my family would agree that this was just as yummy as take out.
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin, cut into strips for stir-fry
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1/2 cups reduced-sodium stir-fry sauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 3/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- For the beef and broccoli:
- Cut broccoli into bite-sized pieces. Steam in a small amount of water until crisp tender but not completely cooked.
- Preheat a large saute pan on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes. Place oil in pan, then add steak, garlic and ginger paste.; cook and stir 3-4 minutes or until lightly browned. While steak cooks, combine remaining ingredients, except broccoli in a small bowl until well blended.
- Stir broccoli and sauce mixture into beef. Bring to a boil; cook 2-3 minutes or until sauce thickens and broccoli is tender. Serve with fried rice.
- For the fried rice:
- In a medium saute pan saute red pepper in butter until soft. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a large saute pan combine broth, soy sauce and garlic. Bring to a boil on high. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in peas, green onions and red peppers. Cover and let stand 5-7 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with fork and serve.
For a change, stir in sliced water chestnuts to the beef with the sauce.
Recipe adapted from Publix Aprons Simple Meals