My oldest son is a very picky eater but he loves these cookies. He won’t eat anything else with peanut butter! This is a very easy cookie to make. It is also a good base recipe for some variations, which I will mention after the recipe. This is a good cookie for lunch boxes or as an after school snack. If you bake treats during the holidays, use the red and green M&M’s as an addition for a festive look.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine 1/2 cup sugar, brown sugar and butter; beat until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter, vanilla and egg; blend well. Add flour, baking soda and salt; mix well. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. With fork dipped in sugar, flatten balls in criss-cross pattern.
- Bake at 375 degrees F. for 6 to 9 minutes or until set and golden brown. Immediately remove from cookie sheets to wire rack to cool. Makes about 4 dozen cookies.
Now for some variations:
Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips.
Nutty Peanut Butter Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup chopped peanuts.
Nutty Candy Cookies: Prepare dough as directed above. Stir in 1 cup candy coated pieces, such as M&M’s. Mini M&M’s will work too.